After you are admitted to Xavier University and if you will need an F-1 student visa to study in the US, you will need to receive an initial attendance I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility from Xavier. The I-20 is a document that proves you have been admitted to a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified college or university and will allow you to initiate the F-1 visa application process.
Additionally, before an I-20 can be issued, the US Government requires that Xavier verifies that prospective F-1 students can cover the costs of their studies while in the US. As a result, you must provide financial documentation that demonstrates you (or a sponsor) can financially support your academic pursuits in the US. The amount that must be shown in the financial documentation is based on Xavier's Financial Requirements minus any scholarships you may have received.
In order to be considered for an I-20, please submit scanned copies of the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Copy of Passport: Copy of the photo/biographical information page.
2. Official Bank Statement or Letter: Copy of a bank statement or letter that meets the following requirements:
- Issued in the last 6 months
- Issued on official bank letterhead
- States the account holder's name
- States the type of currency
- States the type of account (checking, savings, etc.)
- In English or has a certified English translation attached
- Shows sufficient funds to cover the costs of your first academic year minus any scholarships received (see Financial Requirements to determine amount)
3. Financial Sponsor Statement Form: The Financial Sponsor Statement Form must be completely filled out and signed by a sponsor if the financial documentation is not in the student's name. If you have more than one sponsor, a separate Financial Sponsor Statement Form for each sponsor will need to be completed.
4. Dependents: If you will be bringing your spouse and child/children from abroad, you must verify that you have enough funding to cover for their living expenses as well. Please see the Financial Requirements to determine the additional amount needed for each dependent. In addition, please also provide copies of their passports and evidence of their family tie to you (marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.).
5. SEVIS Record Transfer Form: (International Transfer Students Only): If you are already in the US on an F-1 visa and will need to have your SEVIS record transferred to Xavier, you must complete the top part of the SEVIS Record Transfer Form and have your International Student Advisor at your current high school/college/university complete the bottom part.
If you have any questions regarding the I-20 requirements, please feel free to email them to email@example.com.